You may have heard about the benefits of a remote workforce — higher productivity, greater employee retention rates, incredible cost savings, a diverse global talent pool, and a lot more.
1. Keep Employee Morale High
Remote workers have unique morale challenges due to being isolated from the impromptu social experiences that are commonly seen in their in-house counterparts.
Here are some tips :
Get Social: Make time for informal social experiences! Consider making the first few minutes of your weekly meeting an inviting space for informal chat.
Recognition: Praise loudly and praise often! If your remote workers are doing exceptional work, they deserve to be recognized for it.
Be Available: If you’re in a leadership role for your employees, they need to know that you are genuinely interested in their success.
2. Learn Some New Technology
At the minimum you’ll need to be comfortable with using video conferencing equipment and software to facilitate virtual meetings. Remote workforce management relies heavily on the creation of a digital workplace that is supported by technologies that enable communication, collaboration, project management, and other key business functions.
Here are some popular remote working technology:
- Communication: Slack, Workplace from Facebook, Microsoft Teams, Zoom
- Project Management: Trello, Asana, Monday
- File Sharing: Google Drive, OneDrive, FTP Servers
3. Make Sure Business Is Remote Compatible
Break down your key processes into their most basic components.Try not to give up at this stage — there are plenty of creative ways to maintain business continuity when transitioning to a fully-remote team.
Make note of those and do further research. There may be alternatives that you’ve not yet discovered.
- Do you have purchase orders that need signing? E-Signature apps such DocuSign can help with that.
- Do your customers typically call a customer service number to reach someone in-office? Use cloud-based virtual phones to forward calls to your employee and consider adding online support options.